Friday, December 24, 2010

Tiny Tomato Follow-up

On November 25, 2010 I posted one called "Thankful for Tiny Tomatoes".  About 2 days later I decided to clean up the flower beds and put some pine straw around the plants that were still alive.

I looked at the Cherry Tomato plant and saw about a hundred little green tomatoes on it.  They had been protected from the freeze and were not damaged.  I didn't have the heart to just throw them away.  That would be wasteful.  But what can you do with a hundred inch sized green tomatoes?

I could not think of anything but I remembered reading in a gardening book many years ago about how someone had pulled up a regular tomato plant and hung it upside down in their garage to harvest the tomatoes later.

Being the type to not want to do more than I have to and not wanting to dig in the dirt, I just grabbed the stem close to the dirt and pulled up the roots.  I put it in a trash bag upside down and hung it in the spare bathtub.  It hung there for a few days and I moved it to the laundry room.  It has been a unique pleasure to go to the laundry room and check for more ripe tomatoes.  The vine is pretty much dried out now and is only storage space for the remaining few green tomatoes.   It is almost time to take it down and maybe start some new plants for the next season.  The Lord has been abundantly gracious and Blessed us with more food to eat.

For three weeks it has been hanging over the dryer getting a bit of northern sun through the window and we have been harvesting tomatoes every few days.

I will miss them when they are gone, but it has been fun having them around.

Thank The Lord for all His Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment