Thursday, February 10, 2011

Can You Really Do ANYTHING You Want To Do?

I am a woman.  There are things that I cannot do regardless of how much I want to do them.  Part of the reason that I cannot do some things is because I am a woman.  That is just the way it is.  It is reality. Deal with it.

When I was six, I wanted to be a dancer, so Mom took me to ballet class.  The teacher, during one of her less intelligent moments, told me that I could never be a ballerina because I was too tall.   I never went back to class.  She evidently did not realize the benefits of simply taking lessons and had never heard of the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes.

I could have been a dancer in spite of Miss Twit.  At six, I liked the idea of the Prima Ballerina, but had no heart for the occupation at that point.  That was one of the first of those well-intentioned put-downs.  While my mother was telling me I could be anything I wanted to be, the world and others were continually telling me that it just was not going to happen.

I wanted to be a stewardess, but was, again, too tall.  I wanted to sing, but was told at age 12 that I could not carry a tune in a bucket.  I did keep on singing every chance I got but never pursued it seriously.  Now, I realize that I should have. 

The media, in the 1960's started telling women that they could do anything, be anything, have anything all without benefit of a man.  Women's Liberation became all the rage and we women were liberated.  It is still baffling as to what exactly we were liberated from.  Possibly the liberation was from moral restraints which only served to bind us to our flesh without regard to the consequences.  Equal pay for equal work was a good thing and it served to bind us to our occupations, give us heartburn and torment us with the burden of failure to give that time to our families.  Burning bras and wanton sex was only liberating for the moment.  Gravity got us back to the bra while venereal disease (now nicely known as STD's) showed us why wanton sexual conduct is a bad idea.  We now have more types of VD than we did before our liberation.   Most of those new diseases affect women only and are transmitted by men.

Women can now play sports that were once reserved for men.  Women can now walk into a male locker room as a reporter.  Women can openly treat men as playthings and adornments.  Women can now give their children to their husbands, run off and find themselves.  We gained the advantage of being able to talk trash, get no respect because of our womanhood, have sex with whomever, whenever and live empty lives without fear of societal retribution because we are liberated.  We can legally kill our babies in the womb, but God forgive us if we kill them after they are born, after all killing a baby is wrong.  Yes, that is a contradiction. 

Yes, we can do anything we want to do, but believe me when I say there are consequences for everything we do whether it be for bad or for good.   Could I be brain surgeon?  Sure with 12 additional years of school/training.  I drove an 18 wheeler, so why not be a brain surgeon?

Speaking of driving a big rig, it was an interesting experience.  I originally learned to drive a truck in order to drive with my ex-husband.  When I quit my cushy job as an office manager to drive a truck, he told me he did not want to go back to driving and that I was out there on my own, hence the ex.  While I was out there, many men were highly resentful of my presence and had the idea that I took a man's job away from him.   It is a good job.  It is a tough job and it is not a job for just anyone - male or female.

Can we do anything?  Maybe, but first we need to know that it is the area that we have a talent for, something that we have a burning desire to do, something that is right for us in the eyes of GOD.  Many paths are fraught with difficulties and trials particularly the paths that are right for us.  GOD will give us the talents, the desires and the means to travel the path HE has laid out for us.  HE will be with us through the fire and the storm.

So, before we do anything we want to do, we aught to check with HIM to make sure it is what HE has planned for us.  HE will give us the desire of our heart when we choose to follow HIM. 

Shalom.  Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem!

No comments:

Post a Comment