Popular Posts

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Is that on your diet?

After being involved with the industry of health and fitness for almost 6 years and living a life filled with the knowledge of nutrition and how to live a healthy life, it seems that I have thrown caution to the wind and dove in head first into the see of sugar, fat, and extreme nutritional decadence.

Only about a fraction of 1% of all who read this know me at all. Some of the very few of you who do know me have known me only sporadically over the last 66 years, and you are related to me. There are a handful who have known me for about 20 years, but you only know a tiny part of who I am and what I have been through to bring me where I am today.

On the whole, life has been exceptionally kind to me. I, however, have not been kind to the life that GOD gave me so many years ago. I squandered the time and resources HE so graciously bestowed upon me. While, I was never an official addict, the temptations and allure of drugs and alcohol was always around, lurking in the background, plying me with the thoughts of bliss, if only for a moment.

Alcohol could not hold me. The hangovers were simply horrid and the problem, whatever it was, lingered and no amount of inebriation could make it stop. Drugs, ah yes, drugs. Drugs could only make it acceptable or was it bearable? Drugs, no matter how alluring, were a dependency I neither wanted nor could afford. A psychiatrist once asked me if I hallucinated. I said that I did. He then asked me what drugs I took to facilitate my hallucinations. I said, “None. I do quite well on my own.” My wise mouth turned my label from smart-ass to paranoid schizophrenia. He was, after all, an internationally known shrink.

Boredom in group therapy is never good for anyone who is not truly mentally ill. Every session began with the same question, the same answers and it was not only boring, it was insulting to think that all these people were seeing this charlatan so they could get better, yet none, seemed to be getting any better. None that is, but me. It was after weeks of this perceived nonsense, that my blazing fast wit decided to abolish the tedium of monotonous, monotone of, “Tell everyone your name and tell everyone how you are today.”

When it came to me, it just burst forth like rockets on the Fourth of July. “I'm fine and Pam is, too.” He looked above his bulging belly, grabbed his notepad and pen with fervor and asked, “What do you mean?” Now, you have to understand, my mind was already on something else, such as whether or not the rather homely woman with the bright red lipstick and rather odd eye placement was going to further regale us with more antics of her and her Persian lover. She appeared delighted in blushing while she told how he met her and swept her off her feet. I suspected it was a rather vivid imagination that created him, but was never quite sure because of the detail she gave us each week. But even those episodes appeared as reruns after a season.

But I digress. After wasting valuable time on my foolish response and appearing as though I were about to pull a Sybil, I decided to just tell him the truth. It is funny, but the truth rarely works in therapy, especially if the shrink is looking for a hidden truth. Before becoming labeled some sort of sociopath or being encouraged to extend my stay in the hospital, I decided to get through the remainder of the sessions without incident.

When I was very young (still in high school), I considered Psychiatry as an occupation. I went to the public library and read books on the subject. That is, until I got to the one that told me I needed to forget everything I ever learned from observation of people. It was that knowledge gained from observing people that had kept me out of trouble. My attitude toward the occupation was reinforced by the observations made during my stay in the psycho ward. My observations were far too simplistic. Why did people do what they did? Because, with the exception of the ones with a physically debilitating mental disorder (brain tumor, chemical imbalance, etc) they could do it and get away with it. They were not going to be held accountable in this life and most did not believe in eternal consequences. Really, if there is no GOD and we came from the primordial slime, “What difference does it make, really?” Seems I heard that same phrase just recently form a female politician.

Right about now, you're wondering what any of this has to do with diet. We feed ourselves through all our senses. We watch and feed our soul through our eyes. We read and feed our soul through our thoughts. We feed our souls on whatever experiences we have throughout the day. Many days, we bankrupt our time, spending it foolishly on worldly pursuits as though we can reclaim the time that we squandered.

The sugar and fat that we consume is not really the problem. What is the problem is our view of it. What is your perception of your intake? Do you eat to live? Or, do you live to eat? Is that sugary, fat-filled delicacy just that? Or, is it an hourly consumption that you cannot live without? Is it a pseudo addiction that you have convinced your body, you cannot be without.

What do you want to be when you grow up? Me? I just want to be a healthier, more willing child of GOD, a more obedient servant to HIS Will, not mine. The Spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. Will you eat another doughnut and watch another episode of whatever? Or, will you choose a filling salad and watch another episode of Ravi Zacharias? The diet is whatever you choose to feed yourself.

Shalom! Pray for the PEACE of Jerusalem!

No comments:

Post a Comment