Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Jesus's broken promises" - Is That So?

I briefly read a post on a discussion board by a self-proclaimed atheist.  The title was "Jesus's broken promises."  It actually pained me to read past the first sentence.

"Like many Americans, I was raised Christian."  Evidently no one ever told him about the relationship that must be with The Messiah.  From what was written, there is no mention of the Grace of God nor the life-changing experience of Salvation.  Can we be "raised Christian"?  How can one become a Christian by any means other than that of coming to the knowledge of the Blood Sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God, Jesus of Nazareth upon the Cross of Calvary and being reborn in Christ? 

I had the good fortune to not have been "raised Christian."  We went to Church and if I were asked, I would tell them that I was whatever Church we were attending at the time.  I lied to join the Presbyterian Church many, many years ago.  They asked a series of questions to which I answered in the affirmative.  The main question was "Do you know Jesus Christ as your Saviour?"  I answered "Yes" knowing full well that I had no idea what they were talking about.  I suspect there are many in most churches that know the right answers but do not know the Saviour. 

I did not post a comment on the gentleman's blog because I did not feel led by the Spirit to do so.  I was not asked for my opinion and it is a humanist/atheist blog.  He has read the Bible as he quoted a smattering of verses to back up his weak theory that Jesus broke His promise. 

It appeared more like the child who wanted an answer from his or her parents but was not willing to obey either of them.  God has said He will answer our prayers.  He has said that He will supply all our needs.  Like the child who asks for something it does not need and gets the answer of "No" or "Maybe", there is a parallel to me asking God for that which will do me no good nor fulfill my needs, but I want it.  I think I need it.  I really, really do want it.

The Creator of all things knows us better than we know ourselves.  He knows us well enough that He will allow us the dubious pleasure of having that which we do not need in order to spike our spiritual growth when things go awry after getting our way. 

The child who wants a lighter for their fifth birthday is no more entitled to acquire that item than I need to acquire life beyond what He has measured for me.  Answers to prayers are not always "Yes."  What He has promised us is far more than we even know to ask for.  Sometimes we forget the part about prayers being answered depends upon other factors. 

I prayed for more than eight years for my mother's Salvation.  I knew that He could force the issue and make her a believer but I also knew that she had to want to be His and He would not force her to be His.  If she refused Him, all the prayer in the world would make no difference to her.  I knew that she had been seeking and I simply prayed begging that He would give her just one more chance.  I held His promises up to Him and begged Him to give her one more chance.  When she died of lung cancer after almost 63 years of smoking at the age of 69 (just days before her 70th birthday), I did not condemn Him for not saving her life but praised Him for giving her that one more chance to say "Yes." 

When we pray, we need to know that we must pray in the Will of The Lord and not in our own will.  We need to know that not every prayer is answered with a yes.  We need to know that the faith that He refers to is not just faith that He will answer prayer but faith in Him as Saviour and Lord.

Shalom.  Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem.

No comments:

Post a Comment