Popular Posts

Thursday, February 24, 2011

L-O-V-E - Trite, Mundane, Meaningless

And the women said:
I love my shoes!
I love my kitchen!
Don't you just love that color?

And the men said:
I love my truck!
I love to hunt.
I love to fish.

And the children said:
I love that video game.
I love (insert name of latest male or female star).
I love (name of latest music group).  

And in the same breath they say, "I love the Lord."

And I said, "BAH HUMBUG!"

I have said it before and will say it again.  I love THE LORD, I love my husband and my son.  I like things.  I even like my animals; quite fond of some of them.

We bandy about the word love like the word foodFood applies to junk food as well as nutritious food.  It applies to bananas as well as potato chips.

There is little that can be said for words that they cannot say themselves.  Wow!  Deep, man!

How little we think of each other when we use the same word to describe our feelings for our loved ones as we do for a piece of clothing or a piece of steak or a hobby or a pair of shoes.  It is a shallow, trite comment that means nothing.  It has become less than meaningless.  Yet, day after day, we use the word over and over like it is supposed to cover every contingency.  Instead of covering anything, it has become so diluted that it covers nothing.  "I love you." carries the same meaning as "Take out the trash."

So, the next time you start with "I really love that," think about it.  Do you really have emotional ties to that object?  Or, is it simply something you really just like?  You will know where your treasure lies by what you are emotionally attached to.

LOVE GOD!  LOVE FAMILY!  The rest is just stuff!

Shalom!  Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem!

No comments:

Post a Comment