Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Lessons From a Former Employer

I think the first thing that I learned is that when an employer tells you that you are great and they don't know what they would do without you, it means they are considering finding out.

Another thing that I learned is that when they ask you if you can handle the job (the one you've been doing for 15 years), it is a sure sign that they have someone else in mind.

Probably, one of the biggest lessons I learned is the fact that if they think you have a weak spot, they will try to gnaw away at it until either you break or they give up and just fire you.

I learned a lot of valuable lessons about trying to pass off bad products, lying to employees, how to switch money between companies to make the lending institutions believe you have more cash on hand than you do and many other valuable lessons.  They also taught me how to hide their personal purchases so it would look like a company expense.   What I learned from one or two of my former employers could fill volumes about what not to do in order to stay out of jail.

Then there is the two-faced view of, "Do as I say, not as I do."  To see the disparity of treatment among employees all the while them telling how much they are doing for all the employees was nauseating.  

The bans on gossip in the office and the shock of them knowing that what they tell one person in the office was spread, not by the one who was reprimanded, but by the one who was constantly paid to run their mouth.  Of course that person was trustworthy while the other was banished to the land of, I-can't-share-anything-with-you-any-more.  The funny part was that there would not have been a problem if upper management hadn't spread the gossip in the first place.  And that is all that it was.  Perhaps it was just another malicious way to try to push someone out.  False accusations and open distrust can do that fairly rapidly.

The office dress code that was formulated after weeks of discussion and thought was tossed aside because they only made it effective to rid themselves of someone's funky hairstyle.

I learned that office rules and regulations were only applicable to certain people.  Once they were gone, they rules and regulations were set aside.

I learned that age, wisdom and experience has no place in their office.  I learned if they saw that you were in some way damaged you would soon become history.  

I learned that they are liars and cheats and if their word is not any better to their customers than it was to me, their customers are in for a bad product and delayed shipping.

I learned that they have no clue about fairness and trust.  Anyone who continually asks if the employees are taking advantage of their time sheets, has a trust issue and will likely falsify their own documents.  Add cameras everywhere and see if you don't have a problem with morale.  If you don't care about employee morale, then it doesn't matter, does it?

I learned that their vows to their spouses mean nothing.  They are quite willing to engage in "indiscretions" with impunity.  Just don't let them find out that their employees might be doing the same thing.  Then they get "talked to" and it is pointed out how disappointed they are in them.

I learned that if you contribute sizable amounts to various churches and claim publicly to help those less fortunate, that the business community will sing your praises in spite of the fact that you are paving the way to Hell for your family.

I also learned that their efforts to rid themselves of me has been a rocky road and it will only get worse.

I learned that evil has many faces and often uses the disguise of someone who is generous to a fault.  You soon find out that their generosity is calculated to have the most grandiose effect.

I learned to keep copies of everything in triplicate for just one reason.   I did not trust them.  I saw what they did to other people.  I learned that their offers to "help me any way they could" was just one of their lies.

They own the land, the business, the church, the community, and anything else their heart desires, but they cannot own your soul and that just ticks them off.

3 comments:

  1. Northernwhim - I hope that others will read this post. It is true what you have said. I know someone who is going through the very things which you describe here. I know of a place where they work the people (literally) to death. (I'm not joking) but they throw around it all a pretense of sanctity and religion; as if by much overwork and no time for spouse or family or church or any life outside of the job (convent) is salvation. The boss admitted to loving violent action movies, blood a gore, and said that they have to take their (sword) out sometimes (they really meant all the time) and prod(they really meant violently stab) the employees to keep them in line. I told this person; who told me about this; and many other cruel things, that demons are in control of the place, and that; far from being a Christian ministry; it is a place of demons. (just as Rev.18:2 says) they promise the newcomers every good advantage(to hook them) then; once hooked in; they stab and turn the knife of oppression and cruelty until...like I said; one person has already died.

    So what you are sharing is very true.

    In all this I have to remember that the wicked will do wickedly (as Dan.12) says and that God is going to reward them in justice; very soon. But I must keep myself from becoming like them. By keeping my mind stayed upon my God.

    Thanks for your post; very insightful and informative.

    Shalom In Yahshua (Jesus) Messiah,
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We here in the United States generally have NO idea what true horror on the job is. While there are those people and companies in the US that appear to get away with murder, it is not the average occurrence. There are whole countries in this woe filled world of ours that condone violent acts and slovenly conditions upon so-called employees (more like slaves).

    There was a man that I worked with that exhibited signs of emotional distress (depression and anxiety). He got a small dog and devoted a lot of energy to it for a couple of weeks. One Monday, he did not show up for work. I was concerned and thought that management should go check on him. They dilly-dallied and finally went to check on him. He had shot himself and lay dead on his floor. Everything was prepared as though he had gotten ready for work and then killed himself.

    I was not close to him for the simple fact that being a woman it was not the proper thing to do, but it was obvious that something was terribly wrong.

    What amazed me was in the following days when those who were close to him, said that he had called them and told them he had given away his precious dog that weekend. The comment that I heard was, "Maybe we should have known something when he said he gave that little ol' dog away."

    My thoughts were that they were supposed to be his friends and they abandoned him in his time of need.

    I say that, but how engrossed are we in our own survival or our own pleasure that we often do not notice the people in need right next door or in the workplace?

    May Yahshua keep you safe as you go through your day. May His Countenance shine upon you and give you peace that passes all understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment brings me to the next point. I watched a program today about the massive drug companies; and their fever pitched marketing machine, driving all kinds unsuspecting people into the medical drug world through the use of the psychologist prescription power. The clip went on to say that many of the drugs prescribed have harmful side effects like suicidal tendencies.

    And now at the end of the day to read your post really gets me thinking about the amount of lives that are being taken, all in the name of health and wellness. the clip gave showed statistic which stated that about 3,000 people die per month from these types of drugs.

    Thanks for your ending remarks and may YHWH bless you and your loved one(s).

    Shalom In Messiah.

    ReplyDelete